Saturday, February 6, 2010

Lifestyle Changes

Did any of you realize just how many carbs are in so many foods? Well I certainly did not, and it astounds me how many carbs, bad carbs I’ve been eating! I went to the grocery store yesterday to get low carb and carb friendly items, and there are more there than I thought.

Since deciding I need to change my diet in order to help with my PCOS symptoms, I have been learning a seemingly million things every day about carbs and what to eat and what not to eat.

Did you know that if you eat something with a lot of dietary fiber in it, if it has carbs too, you subtract the number of fiber from the amount of carbs and that’s the amount of carbs you will be eating – I guess fiber does wondrous things to your body and helps bad carbs either go away or not do what they’re supposed too.

Also, I didn’t realize there were good carbs and bad carbs – the good carbs that your body needs to live come in veggies and of course the greener the better, berries and a few other fruits, whole grains like in oats and quinoa, meats, and dairy products. The bad carbs come in foods such as anything refined and white – sugar, white rice, refined tortillas, refined pasta, things of that nature.

This whole having to watch what I eat, and eating healthier thing is actually very fascinating – I’ve watched other people go on “diets” like this and I was always like, “I could never do that, I love my yummy food too much”. Well, tell me that eating the way I do is possibly helping cause my infertility, and man will I perk right up! :)

I’ve also begun to work out daily, I have a workout program I made up for myself, one day I’ll target my arms and chest, the next day I’ll focus on my legs, butt and thighs, and then the next day my abs. So every three days I start over again, resulting in me working on each one of those areas twice a week. I started doing only 20 minutes a day so as not to burn myself out, but I want to work my way up to 30 minutes, and then eventually 45 minutes a day, I want to gain strength and a little bit of muscle, and tone my body and work away the fat.

I also started taking cinnamon and the chromium picolonate that the DR recommended.

This is the first time in my life I’ve been so motivated to make these kind of lifestyle changes, knowing I want to stick with them because it could help result in a precious baby.

Any helpful thoughts, or suggestions on this post from people out there who have had PCOS or had to go on a lifestyle change like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment