Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Possible Answers

I love getting good news, or at least possible answers to what my infertility problem could be!

I have been emailing a doctor friend of mine, an endocrinologist who has been trying to figure out my body and just recently looked at some bloodwork test results that I had done last year. My family DR had told me everything was normal, but when this endocrinologist looked at the results, he said everything was normal except my pituitary hormones, LH and FSH – they were flipped and opposite of what they should normally be, which points to patterns of possible PCOS.

He said there is no one test to diagnosis PCOS, only certain symptoms and the lab results that I had. The symptoms are irregular cycles and weight gain and difficult in losing weight – hello, that’s me ALL OVER! Ever since I got off BC in May of 2008, I gained weight and have had such a hard time losing it. And don’t even get me started on my irregular cycles.

This DR said that the core problem with PCOS is something they call insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is actually sluggish enzyme processes that are involved with glucose metabolism. You make all the insulin you need, but
your body appears like it doesn’t respond to it …. so your body makes
more insulin. The high insulin levels create the miscommunication
between the pituitary gland (LH>FSH) and the ovaries. Since the LH and
FSH levels aren’t correct ….. the end result is irregular menstrual
cycles and usually no ovulation occurs.

The treatment is to improve the insulin resistance which in turn lowers
the insulin levels. The lower the insulin levels are … the more normal
the LH and FSH levels will be.

Weight loss is the most important. Fat cells require 50 times the amount
of insulin that muscle cells require. He said that he has his patients start a low
carbohydrate diet such as South Beach and start an exercise program with
a focus on building muscle mass (weight training) rather than aerobic
exercise. There are some over the counter medications that improve
insulin resistance …. chromium picolinate 500mg twice a day and
cinnamon 1000mg every day. The only prescription medication used is one
called metformin.

I’ve had people mention PCOS to me before, but I just shrugged it off, especially after my blood work came back and my family DR told me everything was normal, I had no idea that my problem really could be PCOS! Thank the Lord for wonderful friends who are doctors and specialize in hormones!

So, I’m very excited about this new shedding of light on my situation and hopefully it will be an easier fix than I had originally thought, and I pray that the Lord will continue to give Jesse and I wisdom in knowing what steps we should take next.

2 comments:

  1. I have PCOS. I've known for awhile now and am making similar lifestyle changes so that when I want children, I can have them. If you ever want to talk about it, or share info, you can email me alex_headrick@yahoo.com. In the meantime, thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment. I'm following yours now. You're a wonderful woman of God!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, I found you from Molly's blog - I, too, was a PCOS patient (I now have four children...one with medical assistance and the rest are surprises from God). I had "thin-variant" PCOS - I was not insulin resistant - but had many of the other typical issues common with PCOS. About 8 months ago, I blogged about some of our 9 year journey and specifically the things God taught me about me and about Himself. It's here : http://myegg-citinglife.blogspot.com/search/label/infertility if you'd like to read it. I would love to pray for you as you travel this path - not only that God would open your womb and allow you to conceive - but that He would teach you truths about Him, His goodness and His faithfulness, too.

    ReplyDelete